I am a bioinformatics data scientist, currently working at the National Bioinformatics Infrastructure, Sweden in the long-term support group a.k.a. WABI. I am also employed at the Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Uppsala University and at the Science For Life Laboratory, Uppsala, Sweden.
I am a data scientist supporting bleeding-edge research projects within genomics and computational biology. My professional interests span across more than one discipline: from statistical genomics, machine-learning and feature selection to proteomics and mapping complex genetic architectures. I am also a course leader teaching R for non-programmers and Advanced R for data scientists. I work with research reproducibility and explanatory programming and I am a big enthusiast of the tidyverse.
Apart from my research I enjoy jazz, hiking and mountaineering, literature and ancient history, recently also geocaching and playing jazz on my alto saxophone manufactured by Martin in the 1950-ties.
Marcin Kierczak*, PhD
Marcin dot Kierczak at scilifelab dot uu dot se | Uppsala, Sweden
Data scientist and bioinformatics data analyst with strong expertise in genomics and computational biology and statistics. Focused on data mining and biological sequence analysis.
- Bioinformatics Data Scientist, Science for Life Laboratory, National Bioinformatics Structure, Sweden. Uppsala, Sweden, 2017 – now.
- Researcher, Kerstin Lindblad-Toh’s Lab, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University, & Science for Life Laboratory, Uppsala, Sweden, 2014 – 2017.
- Assistant researcher, Örjan Carlborg’s Lab, Computational Genetics Group, Department of Clinical Sciences, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 2010 – 2014.
- Postdoctoral researcher, Örjan Carlborg’s Lab, Computational Genetics Group, Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 2010 – 2014.
- PhD student, The Linnaeus Centre for Bioinformatics, Uppsala University, Sweden, 2006 – 2009.
- Web consultant and database engineer, Global Diversity Foundation, 2006 – 2010.
- Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, 2006 – 2009. PhD student in bioinformatics at the Linnaeus Centre for Bioinformatics. The degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Bioinformatics awarded on the 25th of Jan 2010 by the Faculty of Technical and Natural Sciences.
- Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, 2003 – 2005. Master’s degree, major in molecular biology, masters thesis title: Construction of rough set-based classifiers for predicting HIV-1 resistance to NRTI drugs.
- Warsaw University, Warsaw, Poland, 2000 – 2003. Bachelor’s degree, in molecular biology, thesis title: Role of CDK-5 kinase in the development and functioning of CNS in mammals.